Don’t Miss Out On… The Top Ten!
The top ten things
you need to know right now
Brought to you by Yours Truly
with thanks to Causette, Les Inrocks, and Animal
for giving me some ideas
10. Sébastien Tellier – Kilometer : This sexy French dude cracks me up. Watch him take the piss out of those big pimpin’ videos… Click here for hotties in grannie panties, dancing hot dogs, and Kanye-inspired sunglasses scenes… replaced by 3D throw-aways.
9. Rubber trailer – Mr Oizo : I’d seen this guy DJ at the Marsatac festival and had no idea that he also dabbled in film-making… until I saw a trailer to the soundtrack for his latest film. Rubber: a new-wave thriller about a killer car tire that rolls towards its victims to the sounds of experimental electro.
8. Wafaa Bilal - On privacy concerns and shit. NYU Tisch School of the Arts professor implants camera in the back of his head. Images will be broadcast to a museum in Qatar.
7. Prop 19 - Yes, that shit was voted down, but we all know that it’s just a short matter of time before recreational marijuana use is legalized, rather than just widely available and tolerated. As it is, most Californians support the plant’s regulation and taxation; what’s left are the details of exactly how and by whom the process will be handled. Free spirits, stay tuned….
6. Why Plants Are (Usually) Better Than Drugs, by botanist Dr. Andrew Weil : Speaking of medicinal herbs, here is a logical and easy-to-understand argument for preferring nature to pharmaceutical concoctions. (In case we weren’t yet convinced that the med industry is fucking us silly.)
5. The Ramayana cartoon series : Direct from India, these animated episodes depicting one Hinduism’s favorite tales are either amusing and sexist or extremely informational. (See Ram win a wife or learn the story of Shiva.)
4. MGMT – We (Don’t) Care EP : While tried and true fans are more apt to benefit from this nostalgic trip back to the band’s first album, even curious newcomers might enjoy a listen. Discover the original recording of their hit single “Kids”… then be jealous that I scored a ticket to their sold-out show in Lyon. (Updates to follow.)
3. Women almost granted right to fair pay in America; Republicans say “no.”
2. Chen Jianping – This Chinese activist was sentenced to one year in a labor camp for having Tweeted an ironic message about Japanese protesters. Another point for the Government of China in its epic war on human rights.
1. Serge Gainsbourg - The master of drunken and romantic ballads performs his famous and breath-taking rendition of Jacques Prévert’s poem “Les Feuilles Mortes”
Enjoy this list, and let me know what you guys think!
Have any suggestions for my next “Don’t Miss Out On” roundup? Leave your links in the comments below!